Green Sanctuary Committee Charter
Committee Chair: Jenny Rieke
Board of Trustee Representative: David Comstock
Mission: To achieve and maintain Green Sanctuary Accreditation under the Unitarian Universalist Ministry for Earth; and promote the UU Seventh Principle -”Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.” within our congregation.
Membership on this committee is open to anyone in the congregation.
Meeting Schedule: Green Sanctuary Committee plans to meet once per month, at the soup/ salad Sunday meals after service. Committee members will primarily communicate via email.
Phase I Objectives: (Goal: complete the 3 steps below in the next 3 to 6 months)
1. Perform an Environmental Assessment of CUUC and it members. The results will be communicated to the congregation as a baseline of where we are now.
2. Develop an Action Plan with a total of twelve activities and projects covering the four program elements: worship and celebration, religious education, environmental justice, and sustainable living. The plan will be presented to the congregation and comments will be incorporated from the Board of Trustees and the congregation.
3. Develop a Communication Plan to share practical information about environmental issues and sustainable living strategies with members of the congregation
4. Submit an electronic application for Green Sanctuary Candidacy in MSWord format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Phase II Objectives: (Goal: complete the 3 steps below in the next 1 to 2 years)
1. Complete the twelve projects identified in the Action Plan.
2. Complete a Green Sanctuary Program Evaluation
3. Submit an electronic application for Green Sanctuary Accreditation in MSWord format to email@example.com.
End Result: Through this process this committee hopes to encourage members of this congregation to bring about positive environmental changes in three arenas:
• Personal lifestyle choices • Congregational activities • and in the broader community.
The Green Sanctuary program strives to:
Build awareness of societal environmental issues among CUUC members;
Generate commitment for personal lifestyle changes;
Motivate CUUC members to community action on environmental issues;
Build connection between spiritual practice and environmental consciousness; and
Build awareness of and rectify environmental injustices.
Social Action >